Posts for: April, 2019
Toenail fungus. It sounds unpleasant, doesn't it? Those acquainted with the thickened yellow nails, odor, and embarrassing appearance of fungal nails agree. At Lake Ridge Podiatry, Dr. Ranieri helps numerous patients of all ages treat their nails, making them clearer and healthier. Don't feel embarrassed. Get the help you deserve from this kind and skilled podiatrist in Woodbridge.
Just what is toenail fungus?
Caused by a microorganism which thrives in dark, moist environments, onychomycosis changes the color, shape, and texture of infected nail. The American Podiatric Medical Association (APMA) says the fungus may spread from one nail to another and even to the fingernails and skin in other areas of the body.
Unfortunately, toenail fungus is exceptionally stubborn. Caused by nail damage and person to person or object to person contact, the fungus proliferates in the moisture-laden environment of closed shoes and sweaty socks. It also likes locker room floors and pool decks.
Treating toenail fungus
The most effective treatment for this all too common foot condition is prevention. Your Woodbridge podiatrist highly recommends:
- Washing your feet daily with warm water and soap and drying them with a clean towel
- Wearing moisture-wicking socks and changing footwear often (let your sneakers dry between workouts)
- Applying over-the-counter anti-fungal cream or powder daily during the summer months
- Trimming your toenails straight across with a clean clippers
- Never sharing pedicure instruments or towels
- Wear flip-flops in public shower and pool areas
If, however, you notice signs of toenail fungus, make an appointment with Dr. Ranieri at Lake Ridge Podiatry in Woodbridge, VA. Your podiatrist will look at all your toenails to determine the best course of treatment.
Depending on how invasive the infection is, he may advise:
- Anti-fungal medication, applied either topically or as a pill taken orally
- Clipping the nail to remove debris (an in-office procedure)
- Partial or total nail removal (done with local anesthetic)
Your best nails
You can be proud of your feet once again and be assured that they are totally healthy. If you believe you are developing fungal toenails or related conditions, such as Athlete's Foot, please contact Lake Ridge Podiatry in Woodbridge, VA, for an appointment with Dr. Ranieri.