Posts for: June, 2019
Your feet sustain a lot of pressure and stress during the day—especially if you work on your feet or you are an athlete who does a lot of running and jumping. One foot problem that can develop is a neuroma, which can become painful as it develops. A podiatrist at Lake Ridge Podiatry in Woodbridge, VA, can help you with numerous foot conditions, including neuromas.
What Is a Neuroma?
A neuroma is a growth on the foot that usually develops between or around the toes. The benign growth is a bundle of nerves that become irritated by constant friction and pressure. It is most often caused by wearing shoes that don’t fit properly. In some cases, the neuroma grows because the patient’s foot has an abnormal bone structure, which is often hereditary. Besides the visual presence of a growth, other signs of a neuroma include numbness, tingling, thick skin, and burning sensation. The most common type is called a Morton’s neuroma, which appears between the third and fourth toes.
Many cases of foot neuromas can be treated conservatively, by simply changing habits and managing pain. Here are a few of the ways your Woodbridge, VA, podiatrist can help:
- Corticosteroid injections to reduce pain.
- Custom-made orthotic supports or shoes to relieve pressure on the toes.
- Foot exercises.
- Surgery to remove the growth, if necessary.
Avoiding a Foot Neuroma
A neuroma develops because of the way you treat your feet over an extended period of time. Here are some of the ways you can avoid it in the future:
- Do not wear very high heeled shoes, or shoes that pinch the toes together.
- Choose shoes that give your toes plenty of room to spread apart and move around.
- If you play sports or exercise for many hours, make sure you wear proper athletic footwear with ample supports.
- Understand that patients who have other foot deformities, like flat feet or bunions, may be more predisposed to developing neuromas, and discuss this with your podiatrist.
Seek Treatment for a Neuroma
Don’t allow a neuroma to make walking, running, or standing a daily problem for you. Get assistance from a podiatrist who is familiar with these cases. Call (703) 491-2603 today to schedule a visit with Dr. Ranieri at Lake Ridge Podiatry in Woodbridge, VA.