Posts for: September, 2020
Treating Your Heel Pain
Every step you take puts stress on your feet. Although your feet can take a heavy load, excess stress can cause problems and one of the most common ones is heel pain. If your heel pain is persistent you will need to consult a podiatrist such as Woodbridge’s Dr. Ranieri at Lake Ridge Podiatry.
Causes of Heel Pain
Heel pain can have many causes including the following:
- Plantar fasciitis: One of the most common causes of heel pain arises when the plantar fascia – the ligament joining the heel and toes – becomes overstretched. This causes pain and the base of the heel.
- Bursitis: This condition is caused by swelling of the bursae – small fluid-filled sacs – that cushion the tendons and muscles near the joints in your feet.
- Achilles tendonitis: Common in runners and other athletes, Achilles tendonitis arises when the Achilles tendon – the tendon joining the heel and the calf – becomes stressed and inflamed. This can cause pain in the heel and ankle.
- Heel spur: A heel spur is caused by the build-up of a calcium deposit on the base of the heel bone. It can cause severe heel pain.
- Tarsal tunnel syndrome: This condition is caused by the compression of the posterior tibial nerve. It causes pain that radiates from the inside of the ankle to the heel and along the foot.
Treatment for Your Heel Pain
Woodbridge residents who are suffering from persistent heel pain can seek help from Dr. Ranieri. After a full examination and discussion of your symptoms, he will diagnose the cause of your pain. Depending on the cause and severity of the heel pain, you may need to rest your foot, perform stretching exercises, take pain medication, or use orthotic devices. In rare cases, if the problem is severe, you may need surgery.
If you are looking for a podiatrist in Woodbridge, call Dr. Ranieri at (703) 491-2603 to schedule an appointment.