How your podiatrist in Woodbridge, VA, can help you get relief from heel pain
If you have stubborn heel pain, it can keep you from being active. Next thing you know, you are sitting on the couch! You can get relief from heel pain because your podiatrist is here to help. Dr. Ranieri at Lake Ridge Podiatry in Woodbridge, VA, offers comprehensive foot care services, including treatment of heel pain.
So, what causes heel pain? It turns out, you can develop heel pain from a few causes, including:
- Stepping on hard or sharp objects, gives you a heel bruise
- Developing excess calcium deposits, giving you a heel spur
- Inflammation of the tissue on your heel, giving you plantar fasciitis
Plantar fasciitis is one of the more common causes of heel pain, and it’s typically caused by overpronation or rolling your feet when you walk. You can also develop plantar fasciitis from walking, standing on hard surfaces, or doing high-impact activities like running.
You are at increased risk of plantar fasciitis if you:
- Are carrying excess weight
- Have flat feet
You can try a few easy home remedies to get relief from mild heel pain. Remember to:
- Apply ice to your heel several times each day
- Do arch stretches several times each day
- Elevate your feet when you can, to relieve foot stress
- Take over-the-counter anti-inflammatory and pain medication
- Wear supportive, comfortable shoes
If you are experiencing moderate to severe heel pain that doesn’t respond to home therapy, it’s time to visit your podiatrist. There are several professional treatments for heel pain, including:
- Custom-made orthotics and footwear to add support
- Physical therapy and stretching to maintain flexibility
- Prescription-strength anti-inflammatory medications
- Extracorporeal shock wave treatment (ESWT)
Heel pain can make you miserable, but fortunately, relief is just a phone call away. To learn more about the causes and treatment of heel pain, call Dr. Ranieri of Lake Ridge Podiatry in Woodbridge, VA, at (703) 491-2603. Help your feet by calling today!