Your podiatrist in Woodbridge, VA, can help with bunion pain.
Bunion pain can keep you from enjoying your daily activities. It can even keep you from wanting to put on shoes. The good news is, your podiatrist has several solutions to effectively treat bunions and eliminate bunion pain. Dr. Ranieri of Lake Ridge Podiatry in Woodbridge, VA, offers comprehensive foot care, including treatments for bunions.
A bunion is a large, bony, painful bump on the side of your big toe. It’s caused by a bone deformity at the big toe joint. The toe joint bends outward, causing the area to rub against the inside of your shoe. What begins as redness and tenderness, turns into swelling and inflammation. Eventually, a bunion forms.
Bunions are more common in women, and bunion formation can accelerate if you wear shoes that are too narrow, crushing your toes together. If you notice a bunion beginning, you can try a few simple home remedies like these:
- Changing to wider, more supportive shoes
- Placing an ice pack on your bunion several times daily
- Taping your toe and foot to support the bunion
- Taking over-the-counter pain and anti-inflammatory medication
- Placing padding or inserts inside your shoes to eliminate friction
If you don’t get relief from home remedies, it’s time to visit your podiatrist for a professional consultation and bunion treatment. Let’s talk about some effective ways your podiatrist can eliminate your bunions this year. Dr. Ranieri may recommend:
- Night splints, to help support the bunion and realign your toe
- Custom-fit orthotics, to support the bunion and help you walk
- Wider, custom-fit footwear, to realign your toe and foot
- Exercises and physical therapy, to restore and maintain mobility and flexibility
- Surgery, known as a bunionectomy, to eliminate the bunion completely
You don’t have to let a bunion disrupt your life. To learn more about how your podiatrist can eliminate your bunion pain in 2021, call Dr. Ranieri of Lake Ridge Podiatry in Woodbridge, VA, at (703) 491-2603. Call now and save your feet!