How your podiatrist in Woodbridge, VA, can help with fallen arches and heel pain
If you have fallen arches, it means that the normal arched contours on the soles of your feet have flattened out. It’s also known as having flat feet, and the condition can cause uncomfortable symptoms. The good news is, your podiatrist can treat fallen arches, so you have less foot and heel pain.
Dr. Ranieri at Lake Ridge Podiatry in Woodbridge, VA, provides comprehensive foot and ankle services, including treatment for fallen arches and heel pain.
You may be at greater risk of developing fallen arches if you:
- Are older
- Have diabetes
- Carry excess weight
- Have rheumatoid arthritis
- Have had a past injury to your foot or ankle
You may experience no symptoms at all with fallen arches. However, you may also experience uncomfortable signs and symptoms like these:
- Feeling pain in your heels
- Feeling pain in your arches
- Feel increasing foot pain when you are active
- Noticing swelling on the inside of your ankle
If you think you have fallen arches, you can try a few simple remedies to get relief. Remember to:
- Place ice packs on your feet to reduce swelling and pain
- Take over-the-counter anti-inflammatory and pain medication
- Rest and elevate your feet when you feel foot pain
You should also try to maintain a healthy weight so there is less stress on your feet. When you exercise, try low-impact activities like swimming. Limit high-impact activities like running.
When you feel moderate to severe foot pain and it is impacting your life, you need to visit your podiatrist. Effective professional treatments include:
- Custom orthotics, inserts, and custom footwear
- Taping your feet for added support
- Stretching exercises and physical therapy
- Ice and moist heat therapy
- Prescription-strength anti-inflammatory medication
You don’t have to suffer from fallen arches when relief is just a phone call away. To learn more about the treatment of fallen arches and heel pain, talk with an expert. Call Dr. Ranieri of Lake Ridge Podiatry in Woodbridge, VA, at (703) 491-2603. Call now!